Does the non-custodial father have the legal right to

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

Does the non-custodial father have the legal right to pierce the ears of his daughter (with out her mothers consent, and make her wear earrings, when she is with him? A medical doctor says that he did a good job in piercing her ears and does not see a medical problem related to him piercing her ears.

1. Ernest DuBose

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you do have the right or there is nothing preventing you from doing it, but I would talk it over with the mother it could create drama for a cosmetic purpose

2. Maria C. Tebano

3

Answered . While piercing a child's ears is definitely something that the parents should discuss, this is not a situtation where anyone should file a petition in family court. In the future, discuss theses issues. Non-custodial versus custodial is not the issue. If you have joint legal custody, these matters should be made with consent of both parties.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

3

Answered . I think the answer to that is yes - she would generally have decision-making over such issues.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  4. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that this isn't something to take to court, but I don't agree that the non-custodial parent has the right to take this action without the consent of the custodial parent. It may be the CHILD'S right to have this done but technically, I do not believe the law permits the non-custodial parent the right to do this. That said, if the custodial parent objects, and the child and the non-custodial parent will not respect this objection, then it could be a sign that (1) the custodial parent isn't making choices that are consistent with the best interests of the child; or (2) the non-custodial parent is displaying poor judgment and disrespect for the custody order--maybe both.

5. Lee Alan Thompson

2

Answered . Rather than going to court over this, I would hope the two of you could talk this over for resolution. If not, I see bigger problems down the road.