Skip to main content

Does the law that was passed 1996 apply in my case?

Port Saint Lucie, FL |
Filed under: Domestic violence

As of 03-30-93 i pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery. I
recently tried to purchase a firearm for the sole purpose of protecting home and
property but was denied. This is the one and only blemish on my record. What
should be my next recourse to get my civil right restored.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Unfortunately, the Lautenberg Amendment that passed in 1996 probably applies in your case. Other ex post facto challenges to other subsections of this law have failed.

    You can apply to Florida's Office of Executive Clemency to get your civil rights restored.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics