Does the landlord have to pay one utility bill?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Santa Clarita, CA

I'm looking to rent a house but the landlord doesn't pay any utility bills. I was under the assumption in the state of CA they are required to pay one utility bill.

1. Kevin Paul Smith

Answered . To my knowledge California has no such requirement.

2. Melissa Cari Marsh

Answered . Unfortunately when you rent a single family residence, the landlord is NOT required to pay any of the utility bills. If someone else is living on the premises, or residing in an apartment or cottage that is located on the same property, however, you should insist that the landlord take care of any utilities that are shared. If in such a case the landlord refuses that should be a deal breaker and you should look for a different place to reside.

Disclaimer. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

3. Frances Miller Campbell

Pro

Answered . Dear Tenant,

The landlord does not have to pay the utility bills. They only have to make sure that the utilities are in good working order.