Does the landlord have to get the carpets cleaned and paint the walls between tenants? Is the tenant responsible to pay for it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

My landlord is saying carpets should only need to be cleaned every 3-5 years and walls painted every 5-8 years with "normal wear and tear". That seems disgusting to me and I keep my home clean. Also, the paint used in the apt doesn't allow for cleaning the walls as it was coming off when I tried and revealed any imperfections that were underneath. How am I supposed to keep the walls clean if they use cheap paint that comes off with water or the carpets perfect when they are a light beige?

1. Andrew Thompson

1

Answered . I highly suggest consulting a landlord/tenant attorney about your issue. Under state law a landlord has a responsibility to make reasonable repairs to the property. This duty cannot be waived, but it can be altered to a degree by the lease agreement. Depending upon what your lease says you may be able to either paint the walls yourself and/or sue for a reduction of rent if the landlord refuses to do it and he/she agreed to do it in the lease.

Again, I suggest consulting an attorney with a copy of your lease to determine the best route to go. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

2. Thomas Michael Fafinski

Pro

Answered . There is no legal obligation to paint the walls or to change out carpeting. If the property becomes uninhabitable, you have rights to pursue a rent abatement action to try and reduce the rent.