Does the IRS treat a settlement under the Washington State Consumer Protection Act as taxable income?

Redmond, WA |

Does the form of the settlement have any impact on the tax status?

1. The IRS treats almost everything as income, with a notable exception for "personal injuries or sickness." See I.R.C. section 104 for exclusions from gross income.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. Any portion you received that reflects an amount that "makes you whole" again wouldn't be taxable, but any other part, such as the punitive component, would be taxable.