Does the IRS have to specify what asset is being levied in a notice of intent to levy?

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Louis, MO

I believe certain assets are exempt from IRS levy. If it does not tell you what it intends to levy, how could you protest a levy of an exempt asset? When the IRS removes a levy, does it have to tell you at that time what asset was levied?

1. Thomas J. Wagner

7

Answered . A notice of levy does not have to specify what assets will be levied. If they actual do levy any assets it will likely be a bank account. You should probably contact the IRS and make some arrangements with them to forestall an actual levy.

2. Bruce Givner

6

Answered . The notice of intent to levy need not specify specific assets. The IRS can seize what it finds. The IRS will not seize exempt assets. The IRS will let you know what assets were taken. You should hire a competent tax lawyer in St. Louis.

3. Eric Jason Wexler

Pro

4

Answered . They do not. I would prepare and file a Request for a Collection or Due Process Hearing (IRS Form 12153).