Does the IRS and Immigration share information about you and your household ?

Denver, CO |

Do they share information at tax time?

not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether IRS and immigration share information with each other or with other agencies? If you are asking whether they share with each other my experience is that no, they do not. I do, though, recommend that you always tell the truth in which case you do not need to be concerned.

No, they do share information with each other.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

No.

Although I am not aware of any tax information sharing agreement between the IRS and the U.S. CIS, I would not be surprised if CIS requires a visa or naturalization applicant (or a sponsor) to obtain Account Transcript(s) from the IRS to make sure that he is current in the payment of his taxes, or provide a completed Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, so that CIS can obtain copies of the taxpayer's returns from the IRS.

Please note, however, that I am not a immigration lawyer. To obtain an accurate answer regarding the actual and usual practice of the CIS in verifying an applicant's income and/or tax compliance, you should ask an immigration specialist to answer your question. Good luck!

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Section 6103 of the Internal Revenue Code details when and how the IRS can disclose taxpayer information. Generally the IRS does not disclose taxpayer information to other agencies. However, they can in the circumstances described in code section cited above. Usually this disclosure occurs during a grand jury investigation or some other court proceeding where the judge authorizes the disclosure.