Does the insurance company, on a accident that was not your fault, have to supply you with a loner car.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My car was hit in front of my house, in the middle of the night. The person hit me admitted to the police it was their fault.(It sure was not mine, I was sleeping in my house.) My car is not drivable. It was towed to the shop., by the persons insurance co. It probably be a week or more to fix it. I,m partially disabled with a bad back and bad knee. Can,t walk to good. I have to miss work, because of no car. Its to far to walk to the bus stop from my house. I think the party involved should pay for a loner.

1. Stephen Samuel Messutta

1

Best Answer

Answered . Rental or loaner car coverage is contractual meaning if you bought the coverage, you are entitled to it per your insurance policy contract. As to the other driver, it is a liability question and if the other driver's insurance company admits or settles on liability part of the settlement will most likely take some alternate transportation but if your insurer has paid you under your policy it is entitled to recoup what it paid you from the at fault driver's insurer -- that's called subrogation.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Call your insurance carrier and ask if you are covered for a rental or if the party at fault will have to pay for alternate transportation.

3. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Answered . If the other driver has coverage for this, yes.
    If

If the other driver has coverage for your rental, yes.
    It appears it must.
    Call a lawyer for some help.

4. Marc Sean Hurd

Answered . I am not admitted in Ill. (only in CA), so I can only provide a sort of general response. In general, one measure of the loss you can claim as a result another's negligence is for loss of use of your property. Thus, if you get a rental car, the other person's insurance should have to reimburse you the reasonable costs of that rental. That is why carriers often agree to provide a rental, through companies with which they have financial arrangements for lower costs. I'd contact the other person's carrier right away.