Does the insurance company, on a accident that was not your fault, have to supply you with a loner car.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My car was hit in front of my house, in the middle of the night. The person hit me admitted to the police it was their fault.(It sure was not mine, I was sleeping in my house.) My car is not drivable. It was towed to the shop., by the persons insurance co. It probably be a week or more to fix it. I,m partially disabled with a bad back and bad knee. Can,t walk to good. I have to miss work, because of no car. Its to far to walk to the bus stop from my house. I think the party involved should pay for a loner.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Stephen Samuel Messutta

    Contributor Level 16


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Rental or loaner car coverage is contractual meaning if you bought the coverage, you are entitled to it per your insurance policy contract. As to the other driver, it is a liability question and if the other driver's insurance company admits or settles on liability part of the settlement will most likely take some alternate transportation but if your insurer has paid you under your policy it is entitled to recoup what it paid you from the at fault driver's insurer -- that's called subrogation.

  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Call your insurance carrier and ask if you are covered for a rental or if the party at fault will have to pay for alternate transportation.

  3. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If the other driver has coverage for this, yes.

    If the other driver has coverage for your rental, yes.
    It appears it must.
    Call a lawyer for some help.

  4. Marc Sean Hurd

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I am not admitted in Ill. (only in CA), so I can only provide a sort of general response. In general, one measure of the loss you can claim as a result another's negligence is for loss of use of your property. Thus, if you get a rental car, the other person's insurance should have to reimburse you the reasonable costs of that rental. That is why carriers often agree to provide a rental, through companies with which they have financial arrangements for lower costs. I'd contact the other person's carrier right away.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,598 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,598 answers this week

3,217 attorneys answering