Skip to main content

Does the green card sponsor should be living in US ? I am a US citizen and my husband needs to apply for a green card

Saint Louis, MO |

We are married about 3 months ago, and we want to apply for a green card for my husband,

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, please do not apply if he plans on remaining wherever he is. US wants new immigrants, arguably, of course, but still. What we do not want is nominal residents who live abroad and only use GC as pass free entrance card. It was a public policy decision that stood at then inception of this country. It still stands.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Yes, if you wish to bring your husband into the US to be with you ... then you need to come into the US to be with him .... and you'll need to prove it to the US Consul.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. You will need to demonstrate that you plan to live in the U.S.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Please provide additional information. Where do you and your husband currently resided? GC means permanent resident, you cannot remain out of the country for an extended period of time. Consult an experienced immigration attorney for more information.

    Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics