Does the georgia DMV check for out of state warrants when transferring a driver's license?

Duluth, GA |

I have a warrant for a $40.00 returned check that I'm just finding out about. I just moved to georgia and I need to transfer my license will i be able to doso or will I be arrested if I attempt to transfer the license before paying the fine and court cost?

1. Go ahead and make arrangements to address the warrant; you will need to do this in any event. Based on my experience, if you act soon enough, the warrant can go away with sufficient funds to clear up the situation.

In my experience, Georgia DDS does not check for out-of-state warrants when you apply for a driver's license. But it is always a possibility, so address the warrant ASAP.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

2. It should not come up unless the warrant somehow impeded your out of state license, which happens sometimes on failure to appear charges or un-resolved driving offenses. If it is a misdemeanor bad check, it could show up if you were ever pulled over, where a more comprehensive check is done. DMV just checks the status of your existing license and driving record.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation