Does the georgia DMV check for out of state warrants when transferring a driver's license?

Asked about 2 years ago - Duluth, GA

I have a warrant for a $40.00 returned check that I'm just finding out about. I just moved to georgia and I need to transfer my license will i be able to doso or will I be arrested if I attempt to transfer the license before paying the fine and court cost?

1. Brett Ladd

Pro

3

2

Answered . Go ahead and make arrangements to address the warrant; you will need to do this in any event. Based on my experience, if you act soon enough, the warrant can go away with sufficient funds to clear up the situation.

In my experience, Georgia DDS does not check for out-of-state warrants when you apply for a driver's license. But it is always a possibility, so address the warrant ASAP.

2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

1

Answered . It should not come up unless the warrant somehow impeded your out of state license, which happens sometimes on failure to appear charges or un-resolved driving offenses. If it is a misdemeanor bad check, it could show up if you were ever pulled over, where a more comprehensive check is done. DMV just checks the status of your existing license and driving record.