Does the FDCPA and the Texas Fair Debt Collection Practices Act apply to attorneys who are trying to collect a judgment in TX?

Asked over 2 years ago - Plano, TX

Can i sue them for harassment? How do i get them to stop harassing or contacing me at work or at inconvenient times? They have won the judgment i told them i cant ay right now can i stop them or sue them for harassment? Cant i press charges here in Texas?

Do these laws apply to judgment creditors?

1. Patrick Begley

6

Best Answer

Answered . The Texas Fair Debt Collection Practices Act does apply to attorneys who are functioning as debt collectors. Here are some helpful links that outline permissible and impermissible behavior.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/debt_colle...
    http://www.occc.state.tx.us/pages/consumer/educ...

Best of luck!

2. Sidney Joseph Diamond

2

Answered . Both the Texas and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Acts include attorney's. In short they must do the samething as any debt collector must do..

3. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

2

Answered . I can't speak for the Texas FDCPA, but the federal FDCPA does apply to attorneys.

Remember, these acts apply only to those seeking to collect on consumer debts.