Does the FDCPA and the Texas Fair Debt Collection Practices Act apply to attorneys who are trying to collect a judgment in TX?

Plano, TX |

Can i sue them for harassment? How do i get them to stop harassing or contacing me at work or at inconvenient times? They have won the judgment i told them i cant ay right now can i stop them or sue them for harassment? Cant i press charges here in Texas?

Do these laws apply to judgment creditors?

The Texas Fair Debt Collection Practices Act does apply to attorneys who are functioning as debt collectors. Here are some helpful links that outline permissible and impermissible behavior.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/debt_collection.shtml
http://www.occc.state.tx.us/pages/consumer/education/DebtColl.htm

Best of luck!

The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal issues. If you have questions concerning your specific situation, it is always best to consult an attorney in your area.

I can't speak for the Texas FDCPA, but the federal FDCPA does apply to attorneys.

Remember, these acts apply only to those seeking to collect on consumer debts.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Both the Texas and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Acts include attorney's. In short they must do the samething as any debt collector must do..

Sued for debt topics