Skip to main content

Does the ex-wife have the right to control her ex-husband's life in his apartment if the 19 year old son lives there?

Ocean View, NJ |

Son is 19, still lives with Dad. Ex-wife bans ex-husb from having a girlfriend or any woman in his apartment while the son lives there. Ex-wife said ex-husb can never marry again, is this legal? Just wondering. I'm the girlfirend in this mess and I feel like I ran into a fight that is still "ensuing" between them. I want him to have his legal rights to move on with his life post divorce, he still pays alimony to ex-wife, son is working full time, in college, Dad is wonderful to son, I feel bad about all of this and my boyfriend the ex-husband in this case said I'm not allowed to visit him at his home becuz of the ex-wife's rules. We are still dating in other locations but they have been divorced for a few years already and she for some reason will not let him move on with his

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I strongly advise you to break up with this man until he cleans up his act. The ex has no legal right whatsoever to dictate to him what he does in his own home. It is the practice in family law that if the ex has minor children not to have new bf's or gf''s stay with them because it would confuse the young ones seeing a new romantic relationship with a non parent. If a 19 year old is upset by you being in his father's life, he needs counselling. Your "man" needs to act like a man and get the ex out of his bedroom so you can go there. The man might try to get an order to show cause in family court why he cannot have you with him, to put presssure on the ex for her to explain to a judge how a 19 year old cannot tolerate seeing Daddy with a gf. Best to use a family lawyer since courts lean to mothers, even when they are not too motherly.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer