Does the EEOC have to notify an employer when an amended charge is filed after the employer has responded to the charge?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Monica, CA

I filed a Retailiation charge against my former employer in 2010. The employer dragged their feet and have only recently responded to the charge (I have not seen the response yet, it is being drafted by EEOC) The delay permitted me to uncover evidence of another act of retailiation that occured during the same window of time. I filed an amended charge. What is the EEOC legally obligated to do, if anything?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

Best Answer

Answered . The EEOC has to notify the employer if the amended information varies from the original information. Otherwise, how can the employer respond? The EEOC investigation must incorporate the employer's response to the allegations, so the employer must be informed.

I assume you are concerned about the length of time that has passed since the events, if you originally filed in 2010. It may not have been your employer dragging its feet; it may have been that the EEOC is moving slowly. The EEOC is terribly underfunded and understaffed and it is taking around two years to investigate a typical charge.

I do not understand what you mean when you say the EEOC is drafting the response. Of course the employer prepared its own response, so do you mean the EEOC is preparing a written summary of the employer's response to send to you? That is somewhat unusual. More often, the investigator telephones the charging party to discuss the employer's response.

Note there are substantial differences between federal and state discrimination law. Please look at my guide to unlawful discrimination which discusses these differences, how to enforce your rights, and time limits: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe...

2. Arkady Igor Itkin

Pro

1

Answered . EEOC and DFEH close over 90% of their cases, determining that they have no findings, so waiting for the EEOC process to provide you with a favorable result is not something you should count on. EEOC has limited resources and only truly investigates a limited number of the most egrigious violations. You should discuss your retaliation claim with a reputable employment attorney in your geographic area to determine what your legal options are.

Thanks,

Arkady Itkin