Skip to main content

Does the custodial parent have a right to refuse visitation during an open CPS investigation from the non-custodial parent?

Kermit, TX |

CPS showed up Saturday alone, did a walk through and questioned everybody due to drug allegations. Monday we went and took a UA, confident that we passed but havent heard anything since Saturday. My ex is wanting his normal weekend visitation (tomorrow) but Im not sure if that will help me or hurt me. My daughter is still in my care and I do have custody. What would be the best move for me to make when it comes to the visitation? I dont know if I have the right to refuse until the case has closed or Ive at least heard something or what? Please help!

Attorney Answers 2


I am not clear on the details of your situation.

However, most situations like this have possession and access (aka custody and visitation) court orders in place from either a divorce or a CPS court case.

If a person denies visitation as ordered by the court they risk a charge of interference with child custody.

So, this is one of those times when general advice is not sufficient. You need to sit down with a lawyer and discuss this situation in detail and get advice based on the details.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Mark as helpful


The court's order is the court's order. It stands until modified or superceded. Neither you nor CPS can refuse to obey that order until it is modified or superceded. He gets visitation under the order at the times specified.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics