Does the CRA/LA have anything to do with issuing/approving building permits,rental registration certificates and Cof Occupancies

I have a friend who is elderly who had someone do some work on her property to bring it into compliance after creating an illegal unit w/o permit. Before she can get the rental certicate/Cof O she was told by the inspector she hired these she could get from CRA/LA. I thought the LADBS and LAHD issued these documents. Even though the property she owns is in a historical area doesn't she still deal w/LAHD&LADBS. Why deal w/CRA/LA?

It sounds as if your friend is in a redevelopment district. She may well need their sign off before a permit is issued. Have her call the Planning Department for clarification. I assume her inspector was private. Whether or not an illegally built unit is in compliance and a permit can be issued will depend on a number of factors, not simply bringing it up to code. She may need to consult a land use attorney if the PD cannot give her a straight answer or there are more issues. Without reading the Redevelopment language in LA, I can't go any further with this question.

This response is not to be construed as establishing an attorney-client relationship, and provides general information on the subject at hand only.

I agree. Contact the local planning/development department and ask them to clarify.