Does the court vertify community hours?

Compton, CA |

I have to have 96 hours due by tomorrow. Does the court verify the hours? What if I sign my own hours? I don't have to present my hours straight to the judge I just have to present them to the clerk

You would be attempting to perpetrate a fraud on the court which is definitely not permissible. Don't do it, tell your attorney and let him ask the court for an extension. Why haven't you done the community service, there are many possibilities: you were injured or sick, you were lazy, you were working or attending school and "too busy", you forgot. Unless you were seriously sick or disabled, none of those counts as a very good excuse so likely your attorney will not attempt to make any excuses but will emphasize other positive things you have done and ask the court for another chance to complete the community service. With any luck the judge will give you a reprimand and some more time to do the community service. I've seen plenty of people get caught lying to the court by forging signatures attesting to community service. Perhaps you'll get away with it but the risk/benefit makes no sense so you should definitely make the right decision. Good luck

For a Free Consultation Call: 408.313.5607

They verify. The court usually has a third party verify for them. You are looking serious trouble if you try to defraud the court into believing you completed hours you didn't. You better go to court and tell the truth. You may not like the consequence, but I don't know a judge in LA county that will go easy on someone who not only fails to do community service, but then tries to trick the judge into believing it was completed. Bad plan.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Yes they do verify. In addition it is expected that a proof of completion will be expected which is a form on the community services letter head. So the court will consider the percentage of the amount of hours completed. So if 80% are completed that is far better than 0%. In addition you will need good cause for not having them complete. Otherwise you may be remanded into custody which may be a book and release. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Bad idea. You are asking for some serious trouble. Don't do it. Be honest.