Does the County Clerk (Boulder Court) need to file and notarize my latest SFS before I present it at the divorce mediation?

I will be representing myself in divorce Mediation (due to lack of income) and need to bring a new Sworn Financial Statement with me. Can I have a bank Notary notarize my SFS or do I need to take it to the County Clerk (Boulder Court) and have them file and notarize it?

Westminster, CO -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

David M. Rich

David M. Rich

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Boulder, CO

Bank notary is fine. Does the other party have income - if so, you can try and get them to pay your fees. You might at least hire a lawyer for an hour or two to look over your mediation agreements before you sign them so you know you are getting a fair deal (you don't have to agree to anything at mediation). No where is "an ounce of prevention" truer than in divorce law. I hope this helps.

You can reach Dave Rich at (303) 886-2516 or Dave Rich is an attorney licensed in Colorado.... more
David Littman

David Littman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Denver, CO

A notary in the State ofColorado can perform the notarization. It does not have to be a court clerk. The most important concept however, is not to sign any binding agreements until you have spoken with an attorney and reviewed what you are thinking of signing. I will tell you that we often represent clients who regret signing mediation agreements without having any legal advice.

Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with counsel. It's important to have your agreement looked over by an attorney before you sign. While it's not required to have an attorney with you at the mediation, it is certainly helpful to have consulted with one beforehand in order to be knowledgeable about your rights so you can engage in a meaningful negotiation where you fully aware of what you are agreeing to. I recommend researching pro bono attorneys in your area that may be able to assist you either in advance of the mediation, at the actual mediation session, or after the mediation and before you have signed anything. If you cannot find free or low cost legal assistance, I highly encourage that you hire an attorney solely to have them review the agreement before you sign. Best of luck.

Related Topics

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Featured Legal Guides

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

by Avvo Staff

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.