Does the co debtor stay apply to me?

Toledo, OH |

I cosigned for a loan for my nephew and im planning on filing bankruptcy. I heard about this co debtor stay that applies to spouses and just wondered if it could apply to me as an Aunt.

Im sorry correction My nephew is the one who is filing a Ch.13

If your nephew files a Chapter 13, provides to pay the claim in full, and he was the beneficiary of the loan, then the codebtor stay applies and protects you from collection.

2. No. First, the only way such a stay would apply would be if your nephew filed for bankruptcy, which you aren't talking about. Second, it doesn't apply to extended relatives like aunts.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

3. No. The co-debtor stay that you are referring to exists only in Chapter 13 bankruptcies, Not Chapter 7 cases. Under Section 1301 of the Bankruptcy Code, when a Debtor files Chapter 13, there is a co-debtor stay with respect to co-obligated CONSUMER debts. However, unless the Chapter 13 Plan specially provides for payment in full of that co-obligated debt, the creditor can seek an order from the bankruptcy court terminating the co-debtor stay.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It's easy and appreciated. This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on without first consulting with an attorney who practices consumer or business bankruptcy law, as applicable.

4. I agree with my colleagues: the codebtor stay only applies in chapter 13 cases.

5. No.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

6. If you nephew surrenders the vehicle, crams down the value or the interest rate, then you would be responsible for the deficiency. The co debtor stay will only apply if he is paying the car in full.

7. You clearly state that your nephew is filing a CHAPTER 13. If he schedules this debt to be sub-classed and paid in full to protect you, the co-debtor, you will be protected under Section 1301. If he files under Chapter 7 there is no co-debtor protection. Check his Chapter 13 Plan (of which you should receive a copy from the Court as a co-debtor) to see how he is treating this obligation. By the way, the co-debtor stay applies to aunts, uncles, spouses, and even non-related parties. The co-debtor is protected in a Chapter 13 to the extent the Debtor is paying the debt.