Does the attorney client privilege applies to social security disability claims?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I'm a criminal justice student and I'm doing a research about the Attorneys client privilege, therefore I came out with a interesting question does the attorney client privilege applies to social security disability claims? if so, under what statutes I could find this information?

1. Barry A. Stein

Pro

3

Answered . Attorney client privilege is based on the sanctity of communications between an attorney and the client. It applies no matter what case is being handled. It does not apply to communications which are meant to be revealed or provided to their parties.

2. Scott M. Daniels

Pro

3

1

Answered . My colleague is correct. The attorney-client privilege exists after the client formally retains an attorney to represent them and the privilege is not broken in some way (3rd parties involved in conversation, context of conversation, etc.). Privilege is covered under ethical rules governed by each state, so depending on the state you are in, attorneys have specific rules to abide by. Social Security Disability claims allow for non-attorney representatives to advocate on behalf of claimants seeking disability benefits, and in this instance, the privilege does not apply. It only applies to attorneys.

3. David J. McCormick

2

1

Answered . Anytime a person hires an attorney and signs a retainer agreement an attorney-client relationship is created, and anything the client tells the attorney is privileged.

4. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

2

Answered . As my colleagues have noted, attorney client privilege applies any time a client retains a lawyer. It does not matter what kind of case.

5. Clifford Michael Farrell

1

Answered . Privilege attaches to all cases and is usually based on State Bar Rules. The law deciding social security claims is federal - but the law and rules governing each attorney is based on the laws, regulations and codes of conduct or code of professional responsibility bapplicable in the state(s) of their admission.