Does the affidavit of support from friends and family for form I-751 need to be notarized?

Asked over 2 years ago - Washington, DC

I am in the process of completing my form I-751 package and I wanted to know before making my friend go to the notary if it is necessary to have the affidavit notarized.

1. William D. Fong

Answered . If you are referring to a statement attesting to the bona fides of your marriage, then no, it does not need to be notarized. It should include contact information.

2. Jan M Pederson

Answered . An I-751 does not require an Affidavit of Support (I-864). If you refer to affidavits attesting to the bona fides of your marriage, then they must be notarized and be very detailed to have any meaning. I suggest you consult with a lawyer to ensure you have all bases covered.
    Also, if you are separated or divorced, you definitely need a lawyer.

3. Christian Schmidt

Answered . You do not need an affidavit of support (I-864) for an I-751. If you refer to affidavits verifying the relationship, they carry more weight if notarized.

4. Jason Todd Lorenzon

Answered . My colleague has provided and excellent answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

5. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

Answered . What affidavit are you talking about? Any affidavit in reference of the validity of the marriage should have the original signature, printed name, address and phone number of the person writing it and it should be notarized.