Does tenant have to give 30 day notice on a commercial lease that expired 3 months ago and no renewal of lease was done?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Redmond, OR

I am currently renting a commercial building and am going out of business and have let the landlord know I wasn't doing well. I signed a 6 month lease and that expired 3 months ago and have been just making the rent since then I am going out of business and can't make rent and gave the landlord 15 day notice and they are saying I have to give 30 days notice and no where in the original lease agreement did it say I had to give any notice. The landlord took the check for half a months rent and now is demanding the rest. The Landlord also has a $800 deposit and I have a feeling I won't be getting it back by the way the landlord is acting. Am I wrong or did the lease expire and I have no obligation to them?

1. J Christopher Minor

Answered . Most commercial leases say that if the tenant remains after the lease expires the tenant becomes a tenant from month to month. A month to month tenancy continues until proper notice of termination is give. Normally, that would be 30 day written notice. Take your lease to a lawyer for an opinion as your obligations.