Does tenant have the right to refuse spraying of pesticides in his apartment?

Cincinnati, OH |

I am a resident of a C.M.H.A. apartment and prefer to do my own pest control procedures. I would like to know if I have the right to refuse their periodic pest control service.

DISCLAIMER: This information addresses general legal principles for public education and does not evaluate the specific claims of any particular party. NO attorney-client relationship has been formed and you should not expect confidentiality for information shared online.
---------------

Great question! I am personally concerned about pesticide and chemical use around my family, so I understand your concern.

In general, the relationship between the landlord and tenant is contractual, and the first place to look for answers to questions about your relationship is any written lease. If your question is not answered there, then it may be difficult to answer your question without further legal research.

There are many legal clinics available to help tenants with their legal questions. Try calling the University of Cincinnati Tenant Information Project (linked below) for advice.

All of this said, the best solution is if you can explain your concerns to your landlord and work out a mutually agreeable solution.

Good luck!

Landlord-tenant topics