Does temporary custody expire?

Asked over 2 years ago - Vallejo, CA

My husband and I are going through a long divorce with no end in sight. Can the temporary custody that I have expire or be changed?

1. Linda Calderon Garrett

Pro

3

Answered . Technically speaking, all custody orders are temporary -- not permanent. Why? Because they are subject to change by either party, at any time, upon a showing of a significant change in circumstances -- of the child and/or the parents.

Unless stated otherwise on a court order, temporary custody orders do not expire. However, should circumstances change warranting a change of the custody order, then either parent is entitled, so long as the child is a minor, to return to court to request a change in the custody terms.

For example, a current custody order may reflect 50/50 physical and legal custody; however, let's say one of the parents needs to relocate to another state for employment purposes. At this point, the parties have two options: 1) stipulate to a change of custody -- with the court approving the stipulation (agreement); or, if parties can't reach agreement, then one party files a motion for a change of custody -- with the judge making the final decision.

In sum, as a general rule, there is no expiration on "temporary custody orders" as any orders relating to children are, in essence, temporary -- as the needs and circumstances of children and their parents invariably change with the passage of time.

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

1

Answered . Temporary custody will when the child becomes an adult. Also, temporary custody will expire if the case is dismissed - which could occur if the case is not brought to trial (or otherwise resolved) within five years of the date of filing unless there is a temporary Child or Spousal Support order in place, or marital status has been bifurcated and severed.

3. David L. Lebowski

1

Answered . Obviously yes to being changed, and no to expiring, absent some new pleading or action by the court.