Does Substitution of Attorney have to be served on all Parties? (California)

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If the Opposing Party is Pro Se and I am Pro Se and suddenly a letter shows up from an attorney alleging to be that Party's Attorney, do I have to respond? Or do I ask for the SOA. Thanks.

Content of letter - claiming I did not produce discovery I did produce.

1. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The attorney should show you the Substitution of Attorney, or you could check the court file to see if it has been filed. If he is not the official attorney, you should continue to deal directly with the other party. However, if that party then tells you he wants you to deal with the attorney on the discovery issue, I would respond to that attorney. In any event, if you did not produce discovery, the fact that the wrong person might be demanding that you produce the discovery does not, at the end of the day, relieve you of your responsibility to respond to discovery. Hope that answers your question.

2. Malosack Berjis

1

1

Answered . Yes, a Substitution of Attorney must be served on all parties. So, if you have received a letter from an individual claiming to be the attorney of the opposing party, but you never received any kind of notice that said party was being represented by counsel now, then you would ask this attorney for a copy of the Substitution of Attorney that was filed with the court (pursuant to CCP Sections 284(1) and 285).