Does student/parent have a cause of action against professor/university who engaged in sexual (physical/verbal) harassment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

Male professor (age mid 60s) sexually harassed (physically and verbally) graduate female student (age 22) in on isolated university building. This occurred only once with no witnesses; report was filed with the university police and high ranking administrators are fully informed; professor was put on administrative leave and not allowed to enter campus until the university concludes its investigation. Parents reside out of state. OUR CHILD WAS HARMED!

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

3

Answered . Certainly against the professor, yes. As against the university, maybe: the issue will be whether they had notice of prior problems or were otherwise aware of the potential for such behavior.

2. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . Your daughter is an adult, any claim would be hers alone.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

2

Answered . As an adult, your daughter has the right to assert a civil claim against this professor (and possibly the university if there is evidence that they were aware about this professor's lewd behavior prior to your daughter's incident). I highly urge you and your daughter to contact an attorney to discuss the merits of asserting such a claim.