Does South Carolina allow hospital lien?

Asked over 1 year ago - Spartanburg, SC

1. John R. Cantrell Jr.

Answered . I don't know what you mean by a hospital lien. If you are asking if a hospital can sue you and get a judgment against you for a debt owed to the hospital, then the answer is yes, they can. If the hospital is a state hospital, then they can also garnish your state income tax refund towards that debt as well. Otherwise, they will be limited to collecting against your other non-exempt assets, if any, that you may have. Medical debts are unsecured debts, and can usually be discharged in a bankruptcy, if you have enough debt to merit considering this option. I suggest a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney or a debt collection defense attorney to see what your options might be.

2. John A. Jackson

Answered . South Carolina law does not allow for hospital liens as I understand it. In some states the law (case law or statutory law) allows for hospitals to place a lien on funds recovered in personal injury actions. There is no such creation here in South Carolina. If you have a personal injury case I suggest discussing this with an attorney.