Does signing a non-compete agreement matter for an employee, if he/she never starts working in the new position?

Boston, MA |

Would non-compete still apply in such a case, if the employee quits before working in the new role?

1. That would depend on whether the non-compete was a condition imposed solely upon your taking the new position or whether the provision was broader in scope to encompass any position within the company. You should consult an attorney specialized in contract or employment law. Best of luck.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

2. I'm not entirely clear on the facts and your question based on what you wrote here. Regardless of whether the employer terminates the employee or if the employee quits, the covenant not to compete may still apply. However, because each of these contracts / covenants / clauses are different you should try to meet with an employment attorney to discuss the situation. Some of these agreements are overly broad anyways, so sitting down with an attorney to discuss your situation is probably in your best interest.

My responses to questions on Avvo or other internet sites are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or anyone at my firm. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services which I provide to my clients.

3. What you ask is probably addressing what's called the "consideration" part of the non-compete. These tend to be widely variable and as such there is no general answer which will be helpful. You should bring the non-compete to an attorney for review.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

4. It is my position that there is no contract. The only exception may be a disclosure of confidential information during the interview process. One would have to review the agreement, however.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

5. One would need to review the contract to be sure, but it sounds to me as though employment would be a condition precedent to the non-compete taking effect, and if the employee never starts working in the new position then the contract is of no force and effect. This of course is based on the information which you've provided and one would have to review the contract and ascertain all pertinent facts in order to provide you with a proper legal opinion.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

6. Courts in Massachusetts scrutinize non-competes pretty closely - particularly when the employer has not, through training or on the job experience, imparted a unique and valuable skill to the employee. I would have to know more about the specifics, but the employer would have a heavy burden here.

Small business topics