Skip to main content

Does shoplifting goes in your record for 102 dollars? Can I get citizenship after this?

West Nyack, NY |

I went to the mall with 2 friends, at jcpenny in ny , each person took 1 thing average of 35 dollars, but the store detective said we all are charge for the same amount for association, he made us sign papers before he wrote the amount, called the police and the police gave us a court date they didn't finger print and let us go home, I'm so scared because I'm a nurse student and this can destroy my career, and I don't have money for a lawyer, I'm also a us resident not a citizen, I don't know what to expect in court or what to plead Help please

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You plead not guilty. If you cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint one for you free of charge. Don't say or do anything without an attorney. Your lawyer should be able to negotiate an ACD for you. This is an acronym for adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. If it is granted the case will be dismissed and sealed in six months, if you don't get rearrested, as though the incident legally never happened.

  2. Until counsel is appointed to you do not offer any information to the prosecution.

    The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.

  3. If you plead guilty or get convicted after trial you will have a criminal record for life. If you get something less you can avoid a criminal record. I suggest you borrow money for a good criminal lawyer. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish if you are pursuing a professional career.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. You need an attorney asap, so speak to your family to see if they will help you with your legal fee's or get to the public defender's office to see if you qualify for a free attorney. The loss prevention officers routinely (especially if this was the Palisades Center from your locale) get people to sign an admission and no trespass warning. Do not speak to anyone about this other than an attorney. If you have no record an attorney will be able to negotiate an ACD or a Disorderly Conduct violation with sentence parameters. It will be important to show the DA that you have many positive things going on in your life and this was an absolute mistake and not likely to happen again. Thus, your nursing program, grades etc can come in to play to help you. The immigration issues need to be discussed in detail, so you know how to answer when they question this arrest. I wish you the best of luck and if you have any specific questions from this please feel free to contact me for a consultation 845-290-2492.

    Best of luck!

  5. I agree with the other attorneys, find a way to hire an attorney. Even if the criminal repercussions do not seem so bad there could be serious immigration repercussions and there is no court appointed attorney for immigration. You will save yourself stress and money down the road if you hire someone. My firm handles criminal immigration matters in your area.
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics