Does settlement money that is placed in the attorney escrow account grows interest. If so, who gets the accumulated interest?

Asked over 1 year ago - Upper Marlboro, MD

My settlement money was placed in my attorney escrow account in September 2012. On January 31, 2013, a portion of the settlement money was released to me but there is still some money remaining.

1. Thomas C Valkenet

Pro

6

Answered . Maryland Legal Services Corporation. Read all about it at the link, below.

2. William Emil Cassara

Pro

3

Answered . When I practiced in MD it went to a firm called IOLTA (Interest on Lawyer's Trust Accounts) and was used for indigent legal services. Check with your attorney.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

4

Answered . Escrow accounts usually do not accrue interest. If they do, like New York, which is nominal, it belongs to the State. I'm sure your lawyer can better explain this to you.

4. Matthew C Simon

Pro

3

Answered . Its a small amount of interest and generally you share it according to your retainer agreement. Speak to your lawyer about the details and re-reread your retainer agreement.

5. Michael R Crosner

2

Answered . Not sure about MD, but in California settlement proceeds are usually placed in an attorney's trust account until disbursed - In California the interest goes to the California State Bar. Check with your MD attorney who settled your case.

6. Lawrence Roger Holzman

Answered . In Maryland, all attorney escrow accounts are regulated by the state. All interest from these IOLTA (interest on lawyer trust accounts) goes to the Maryland Client Security Trust Fund.

Pro

1

Answered . MD Legal Services Corp