Does schizophrenia excuse you from jury duty.

Asked about 1 year ago - Watertown, NY

I have schizophrenia and have been summoned for jury duty and wondering if I should get a doctors excuse.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Get the note from the doctor. If you are able to serve, then you will. If you can function and go to work, then probably you will be serving.

2. Ryan Daniel Bright

Answered . It is possible. Anything that prevents you from sitting for extended periods of time and understanding testimony could be a reason. If your issue causes problems in that area then a doctors note may be enough to have you removed. But you will still need to show up and let the judge make that call. There is nothing more important in our country than serving on a jury.