Does schizophrenia excuse you from jury duty.

Watertown, NY |

I have schizophrenia and have been summoned for jury duty and wondering if I should get a doctors excuse.

1. It is possible. Anything that prevents you from sitting for extended periods of time and understanding testimony could be a reason. If your issue causes problems in that area then a doctors note may be enough to have you removed. But you will still need to show up and let the judge make that call. There is nothing more important in our country than serving on a jury.

This communication offers general information based on the very limited information provided, and does not constitute the giving of legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. Get the note from the doctor. If you are able to serve, then you will. If you can function and go to work, then probably you will be serving.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Employee benefits topics