Does petty theft infraction come up on criminal background check? Please help. thank you

Asked about 5 years ago - Burbank, CA

I was being stupid and i shoplifted. I managed to get it lowered to an infraction.
But i was wondering if I can still get a job?
will the petty theft infraction come up on criminal background check?
also, when fillin out job applications, this question often pops up:
"Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?"
do i answer yes to the question?

the incident happened at Glendale, CA but i am applying for jobs at Las Vegas, NV

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Salman Borhani

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Infractions won't be on your criminal record. But if it was originally a misdo then it will show up that you were charged with a misdo. The job application question is tricky because it seems to include the infraction you pled guilty to. Err on the side of caution and say "Yes" with an explanation that you were finally convicted of just an infraction.

    Reading this answer and using this site does not create an attorney client privilege between you and the answering attorney. Please seek competent legal advice from a licensed practitioner of the law. The answers given on this site are general in nature and may not apply to your specific problem. They are given for educational purposes only and are not to be construed as specific legal advice.

  2. Ben Walter Pesta II

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If it's an infraction, it doesn't show up on a background check.
    If it's a misdemeanor that was later reduced to an infraction, the original charge and the subsequent reduction very well might.
    The best bet is to be honest. You'll score points for reporting something which perhaps you didn't have to report, and you'll LOSE points for not mentioning something that turns up later.

  3. Douglas Scott Srulowitz

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Crimes are generally defined as misdemeanors or felonies. Employers can ask you if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Infractions don't make you a criminal.

    Disclaimer. This attorney is licensed to practice law in California. No attorney-client relationship has been formed. The information posted above is for general information and does not constitute professional legal advice. Laws in different states vary. There are often different rules from Court to Court. You are advised to consult with an attorney to review your specific circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,156 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,156 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering