Does owning a business i.e. a bar, get me a visa to stay in the USA?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I am a UK citizen currently working in Chicago for a British bank on an E2 visa, but due to personal reasons I am looking to relocate to Dallas. I want to start my own business and want that to be a bar. I have read that owning a profitable business is grounds for obtaining a visa, however I would like some clarification on the details and if this is in fact possible. Thanks!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are ways and it can be figured out (hopefully). Check out the EB-5 visa program. If you have any questions, let me know.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible, but have to invest significant capital.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do you have more than $100,000 to invest in this bar and will it get you more than 50% ownership?

    If so, there is a possibility.

    Capriotti International Law

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes - all the other attorneys have given you great ideas. You can start with your own E2 - then move on from there.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

B-1 business visa

B-1 visas are available for foreign workers who need to visit the US temporarily for business purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,030 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,030 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering