Does owning a business i.e. a bar, get me a visa to stay in the USA?

Dallas, TX |

I am a UK citizen currently working in Chicago for a British bank on an E2 visa, but due to personal reasons I am looking to relocate to Dallas. I want to start my own business and want that to be a bar. I have read that owning a profitable business is grounds for obtaining a visa, however I would like some clarification on the details and if this is in fact possible. Thanks!

Do you have more than $100,000 to invest in this bar and will it get you more than 50% ownership?

If so, there is a possibility.

Capriotti International Law
www.capriotti.com
franco@capriotti.com
1-503-803-0055
SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

I can get the 100k, and will be a minimum 51% owner, do I set up the company in the US or the UK? If the US how do I still qualify for the E2 visa?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Great ... so far, so good. Please consider having a private consultation (many of us use Skype) to help you evaluate the pros/cons of your options. Franco Capriotti 1-503-803-0055 Capriotti International Law www.capriotti.com franco@capriotti.com SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE

There are ways and it can be figured out (hopefully). Check out the EB-5 visa program. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for the heads up, am I right in thinking I would need $1 million for that though? I definitely don't have that, so in your opinion is there no other way?

It is possible, but have to invest significant capital.

Yes - all the other attorneys have given you great ideas. You can start with your own E2 - then move on from there.

Irina S Batrakova

Irina S Batrakova

I agree with my colleagues. An E-2 treaty investor visa would be a good option in your case, given all of the qualifying criteria is met. But normally (this very much depends on the Consulate) the investment of $100,000 or above will be considered substantial enough in nature. Feel free to call my office or email me with any questions that you may have. The Batrakova Law Office 503.443.2486 ibatrakova@batrakovalaw.com www.batrakovalaw.com