Does one need to obtain a real estate license in order to manage commercial property?

Asked 10 months ago - Kissimmee, FL

I own a commercial real estate property (office space) that I would like to lease however, I would like to enlist the assistance of my niece to manage the property for me. There is no compensation or commission involved as she will be working at no charge. The duties that I would like her to handle would be showing the space, responding to tenant concerns, and collecting rental payments on my behalf.

Can she do this legally without a license and without violating any real estate laws? Also, can she use the title of "Property Manager"?

1. Scott William Fitzpatrick

1

1

Answered . Do you own the property in your name or a business entity? If ownership is in your name, your niece will likely need to be licensed. If the property is owned by a business entity, its unlicensed employees may be able to manage the company's real estate. In any event, you should consult with a real estate attorney to review this matter and counsel you accordingly. These licensing issues can be tricky, and a violation can be charged as a felony in Florida. Don't take any chances. It's not worth it.

2. Gregg Harrison Glickstein

Answered . Assuming the subject commercial property is located in Florida, so long as your niece is not receiving compensation or valuable consideration for the services performed by her on the property owner's behalf there is no licensure requirement under Chapter 475, Florida Statutes, which regulates real estate brokers and sales associates, irrespective of who owns the commercial property. Conversely, if your niece, as the property owner’s agent, employee, or independent contractor, receives payment of a commission or other compensation strictly on a transactional basis, then her licensure might be required, irrespective of who owns the commercial property, depending the specific services she performs.