Does NYS Child Support have the right to ask me questions and want proof and answers about my Tax Return that I send yearly?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamestown, NY

I am a non-custodial parent who is obligated by court to pay support and send copy of my yearly tax return. I had a small business and closed it and moved last year due to family illness . I have had a professional prepare my taxes every year except for the last one I prepared myself. Child Support has NEVER inquired information to these until I did my own. Do they Legally have the right to ask me these questions and want proof?? If I don't comply, Will they most likely have me Audited by the IRS out of spite and rebuttal?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

8

26

Best Answer

Answered . No, they're not going to have you audited out of "spite" but if you are supposed to provide them with tax returns, do it. If they have questions about your return, that's a different story, and whether you must answer their questions depends upon who is asking and what they are asking.

2. Edwin Drantivy

7

Answered . The Support Collection Unit has the right to inquire into parts of your finances that it deems fishy or peculiar.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . You can be required to provide your tax returns when you have a child support court proceeding.iRS has nothing to do with child support proceeding.