Skip to main content

Does North Carolina jail/prison's offer time off for good behavior

Cherokee, NC |

i know someone who was arrested in Cherokee north Carolina and i was wondering if they offer time off for good behavior

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


NC does not have a parole system like some other states. However, there is a program called Advanced Supervised Release. The DA's office has to agree to the program and it is incredibly difficult to get. Furthermore it is only available for a small subsection of felonies, only classes H-D.

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advise, they are given based on the information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advise. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advise from an attorney and is urged to do so. If the Questioner wants to hire this Attorney for their case they must first contact his law office by emailing him at to setup a consultation. After a full discussion of the facts Corby and Ingalls, Attorneys at Law, PLLC can decided whether or not to accept the case.


Yes and No. We have structued sentencing. Unless you are offered Advanced Supervised Release (at sentencing, with the DA's consent), then you will serve the minimum sentence.

If you're sentenced from 10 to 12 months, you'll go in serving the 12, but the DAC (formerly the DOC) can knock time off for good behavior, etc., but you will serve the minimum of 10 months.

ASR is a new system introduced in 2011 that allows sentences to be cut even more significantly, but because the DA must agree, it only conceivably can happen under a plea agreement, and only where the DA consents.

<a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or attorney in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.


If your friend needs the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney, they could be found here: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer