Does North Carolina jail/prison's offer time off for good behavior

Asked over 2 years ago - Cherokee, NC

i know someone who was arrested in Cherokee north Carolina and i was wondering if they offer time off for good behavior

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . NC does not have a parole system like some other states. However, there is a program called Advanced Supervised Release. The DA's office has to agree to the program and it is incredibly difficult to get. Furthermore it is only available for a small subsection of felonies, only classes H-D.

    These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advise, they are given based on... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes and No. We have structued sentencing. Unless you are offered Advanced Supervised Release (at sentencing, with the DA's consent), then you will serve the minimum sentence.

    If you're sentenced from 10 to 12 months, you'll go in serving the 12, but the DAC (formerly the DOC) can knock time off for good behavior, etc., but you will serve the minimum of 10 months.

    ASR is a new system introduced in 2011 that allows sentences to be cut even more significantly, but because the DA must agree, it only conceivably can happen under a plea agreement, and only where the DA consents.

    Raleigh criminal lawyer Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary,... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your friend needs the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney, they could be found here: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M,... more

Related Topics

Sentencing for criminal conviction

Sentencing is the process after criminal conviction in which the judge determines your punishment, such as jail or prison time, community service, and/or fines.

Violent crime

Violent crime refers to any crime where the victim was harmed or threatened with harm. Homicide, rape, robbery, and assault are the main types of violent crime.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,355 answers this week

3,908 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,355 answers this week

3,908 attorneys answering