Does New York allow a child to decide where they want to live when they get a certain age? If so, what age?

Hamburg, NY |

My daughter is seven and lives with her father. Her therapist here says that she needs to be with her mother, but the judge ruled against it. Can she decide where she wants to live when she gets older? If so, how old until she can?

1. The older a child gets, the more the Court will listen to them, through their law guardian. In my experience, it is around when they turn 12 or 13 that the Court actually takes a listen to their desires.
    Some states legislate an actual age but not in NY.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. NY law does not specify a specific age. The court will usually consider a child's level of maturity, which can vary on a case by case basis. Typically, courts will consider a child's wishes around the age of 12 or 13. Best of luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

3. It really depends on the maturity of the child. The child's preference can be taken into consideration at any age, but that is merely one factor the court will consider. The standard that the court applies is what is in the child's best interest.

4. No set rule in NYS. Child will be appointed an attorney by the court to represent the child in a custody dispute, depending on the child's age.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.