Does NBC handle I-130 appeal?

New York, NY |

Our I-130 was denied last year and we appealed with the local USCIS office as instructed in the denial. We just learned thru the INFOPASS apt that the local office sent the whole file to the National Benefits Center instead of the BIA. Is this normal, shouldn't it be sent to the BIA?

CIS has the option of 'reconsidering' a denial and they can use the NBC to 'track' where it is being processed.

Do you have a lawyer?

It's not too late ... this is serious and you should make sure you have professional help.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

No. Not normal.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

If your I-130 was denied, you really should retain a lawyer and get professional assistance. It appears that the matter is becoming increasingly complicated, and you will benefit considerably by getting a lawyer involved sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

You should call the Immigration helpline (800) 375-5283, give them the I-130 receipt number, and see if they can get a response from the National Benefits Center. The NBC does not handle appeals, so it is curious as to why the file was sent to their office.

You should probably consult an attorney if you do not hear back soon.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics