Does NBC handle I-130 appeal?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Our I-130 was denied last year and we appealed with the local USCIS office as instructed in the denial. We just learned thru the INFOPASS apt that the local office sent the whole file to the National Benefits Center instead of the BIA. Is this normal, shouldn't it be sent to the BIA?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Not normal.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . CIS has the option of 'reconsidering' a denial and they can use the NBC to 'track' where it is being processed.

    Do you have a lawyer?

    It's not too late ... this is serious and you should make sure you have professional help.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your I-130 was denied, you really should retain a lawyer and get professional assistance. It appears that the matter is becoming increasingly complicated, and you will benefit considerably by getting a lawyer involved sooner rather than later.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You... more
  4. Daniel S. Drucker

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . You should call the Immigration helpline (800) 375-5283, give them the I-130 receipt number, and see if they can get a response from the National Benefits Center. The NBC does not handle appeals, so it is curious as to why the file was sent to their office.

    You should probably consult an attorney if you do not hear back soon.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,468 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,468 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering