Does my wife need to keep her job till I become a USC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I have a conditional green card and I have been working and making good money ( way above the poverty line ), my wife is sick and she is going to quit her job for the surgery and to take care of her health , does that have anything to do with me getting my permanent green card or citizenship ?, i mean she was my sponsor ,do i need a joint sponsor when she quit or my income would be enough ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Michael Hugh Carlin

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Everyone who has conditional permanent residence must file a petition to remove those conditions, prior to the expiration of their conditional permanent resident card. This petition to remove conditions does not require the financial sponsorship information that you needed to meet when you applied originally for your conditional permanent residence.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of... more
  2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . She need not file sponsorship documents for removal of conditions or citizenship.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Mark Robert Barr

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She can quit her job.

  4. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The petition to remove the condition on your status as a lawful permanent resident dos not require submission of an affidavit of support. Your wife can quit her job. We can help you in this process.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  5. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,046 answers this week

3,036 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,046 answers this week

3,036 attorneys answering