Does my wife have to stay in school?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rexburg, ID

My wife and I have been married for almost 2 years. She is an international student. I, myself, have about a year longer until I can apply for citizenship. I am currently a green card holder. My wife has to stay in school in order to stay in the states. We are planning on applying for her to get a green card soon. Once we apply for her to receive a green card, even though she hasn't got the green card yet, does she still have to stay in school in order to stay in the states?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . Not if she file her I-130 and I485 in August.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Talk to a lawyer TOMORROW. There is no waiting list for F-2a this month ... FILE RIGHT AWAY.

She can drop out of school once you get the fee receipts.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

3

Answered . Once she has filed an application for adjustment of status, she does not need to stay in school to maintain a lawful status. I recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney before making any firm plans, in any event.

4. Allan Scott Lolly

Pro

3

Answered . Attorneys Capriotti and Shusterman are referring to a unique opportunity that is open to you at this time. Beginning in August, you should be able to apply to change her status to permanent resident based on her marriage to a green card holder and also pull her out of school. See the link below for more information. Get an attorney quick since this is a good advantage for you.