Does my wife (permanent resident) need a police clarence report for a marriage based green card interview?

Florida |

Hi.
My wife and I went to green card interview couple of days ago. First think the officer asked us was that why we didnt have the police clearance report for my wife. I am the applicant and she the permanent resident. They told us they were gonna call us for another interview because of that. I just wonder if she has to file the police clearance report for an interview with not being the applicant and if she had a criminal before but the case was closed does it effect anything about the interview? Thank U.

1. Watch out! The only good reason that the examiner would ask your wife, the petitioner, for a police clearance would be if he thinks that she has a criminal record and might be deportable.

Better check this out

2. There is no such thing as a "police clearance" in adjustment of status cases. Ask your wife if she was arrested - even if the charges were withdrawn, dismissed etc. Go the court where she appeared and ask the criminal court clerk for a disposition of arrest. If she does have a criminal record but did not disclose it in her application or at the interview, you will receive a letter from USCIS. If that happens, see an immigration lawyer immediately. Good luck.