Skip to main content

Does my soon to be ex husband have any legal claim to our 2012 tax refund if he didn't make any income and I file jointly?

Indianapolis, IN |
Filed under: Divorce Tax return

we were separated for 9 months but it's not a legal separation. our divorce will be finalized in one week. I'm trying to figure out if he can take me to court over the money if he made no income for the year.

Attorney Answers 3


He can. Whether he is entitled to it depends on the terms of the divorce decree.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes it is marital property and assuch divisible by agreement of the parties or the court.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Yes he does, it is considered marital property.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics