Does my sons juvenile probation officer have the right to take away his cell phone?

Asked 8 months ago - Saint Marys, OH

My son had been suspended from school two months after being put on probation, so as a punishment he ordered me to take his phone away. He then told my child that he was on "house arrest" until the next time we see him. I would like to give my son his phone back since he plays sports but I don't want to get him in trouble.

1. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

Answered . Call the probation officer and discuss your concerns. The probation officer has broad authority over the terms but a juvenile court will usually listen to the parents. If you don't get anywhere with the probation officer you could write a letter to the judge or magistrate requesting them to modify the condition.

2. Elizabeth Emelia Osorio

Answered . Counsel are correct in their advice - contact the officer to discuss your concerns, and set a good example for your son by following the rules until you've had them modified by the Court or the probation officer. Good luck to you both.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . Follow the probation officers request, your son will not die. Ask the probation officer why he wants that done. Do not cuddle your baby!