Does my situation fall under the statute of limitations for NY?

Asked over 1 year ago - Batavia, NY

If I am arrested for criminal possession of a weapon in the 4th degree and Forget about it and find out later that the charge was changed to criminal possession of a weapon in the 3rd degree due to a previous conviction am I still covered by the 5 year statute of limitations for the COW in the 3rd ?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

3

Best Answer

Answered . No--if you were arrested within 5 years, the statute was met. If your case is in warrant status, the 5 years is not an issue.
    It needs to be cleared up.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

2

Answered . If the original charge had not expired under the S/L and you were then charged with the escalated crime, and the latter still within the 5 years, then there is no S/L defense. If there was a warrant issued at any point during the time line within the S/L, the clock stops and you can be prosecuted once apprehended.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Once you were arrested the statute of limitations was met and is no longer an issue.