Does my sister,who is an executor of my mom's will have to provide me (who is an heir) with an accounting of my mother's estate?

Reading, PA |

My sister has not divulged any info of the estate or her handling of my mother's estate with regard to paying for various costs. I asked her and she told me that legally she does not have to provide any info to me, just if I am to inherit anything. Is there a time period involved where she has to provide me with the info?

Hello ...

Your sister does have to provide an Accounting of every penny of the Estate's details. It is part of her fiduciary responsibilities and any judge would make her provide one in a microsecond.

She is not being honest with you (from what I gather from your statements).

Good Luck ...

John

John B. Whalen, Jr., J.D., LL.M. is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb, is a recipient of the Legum Magister (LL.M.) Post-Doctorate Degree in Taxation (from the Villanova University School of Law), and is a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (from the Widener University School of Law).

Mr. Whalen provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week (including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM), charges by agreed upon fixed fee financing (no hourly or percentage based fees), and provides home service and prompt, virtually immediate, responses and answers).

888-845-0823
610-407-0220
610-999-2157
jbwj@comcast.net

Avvo.Com
Martindale.Com

Although we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters, and electronic mail, please remember that this information is for informational purposes only, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This website is not intended to be the rendering of legal advice for specific cases, you should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel, and you should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Good luck. John

Does she have to provide it at the end of the process or during?

John B. Whalen Jr.

John B. Whalen Jr.

Are you receiving anything in the will and have you seen the copy of the will?

Yes, her estate is split between her kids. No, we haven't seen the will

You seem to say you are a heir and your sister seems to say in your narrative that you are not.
All beneificiaries are entitled to a full accounting in probate and trust admionistration.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

In PA if you are a named beneficiary in a will OR an heir at law (which you appear to be), you are entitled to notice and a copy of the will. You may not receive anything in said will but you are entitled to notice. I would also be entitled to an accounting - she may not provide it voluntarily or on an informal basis but if need be you could hire an attorney to force it through a demand for accounting in court.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

Wills and estates topics