Does my sister,who is an executor of my mom's will have to provide me (who is an heir) with an accounting of my mother's estate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Reading, PA

My sister has not divulged any info of the estate or her handling of my mother's estate with regard to paying for various costs. I asked her and she told me that legally she does not have to provide any info to me, just if I am to inherit anything. Is there a time period involved where she has to provide me with the info?

1. John B. Whalen Jr.

Pro

5

3

Answered . Hello ...

Your sister does have to provide an Accounting of every penny of the Estate's details. It is part of her fiduciary responsibilities and any judge would make her provide one in a microsecond.

She is not being honest with you (from what I gather from your statements).

Good Luck ...

John

John B. Whalen, Jr., J.D., LL.M. is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb, is a recipient of the Legum Magister (LL.M.) Post-Doctorate Degree in Taxation (from the Villanova University School of Law), and is a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (from the Widener University School of Law).

Mr. Whalen provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week (including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM), charges by agreed upon fixed fee financing (no hourly or percentage based fees), and provides home service and prompt, virtually immediate, responses and answers).

888-845-0823
    610-407-0220
    610-999-2157
    jbwj@comcast.net

Avvo.Com
    Martindale.Com

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

2

Answered . In PA if you are a named beneficiary in a will OR an heir at law (which you appear to be), you are entitled to notice and a copy of the will. You may not receive anything in said will but you are entitled to notice. I would also be entitled to an accounting - she may not provide it voluntarily or on an informal basis but if need be you could hire an attorney to force it through a demand for accounting in court.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . You seem to say you are a heir and your sister seems to say in your narrative that you are not.
    All beneificiaries are entitled to a full accounting in probate and trust admionistration.