Skip to main content

Does my other than honorable discharge affect me when i go apply for citizenship and do you know if i can upgrade my discharge

Mcallen, TX |
Filed under: Military law

i got a other than honorable discharge from the us navy and i would like to know if there is any way that i can upgrade my discharge so i can rejoin the military i was only younger when that incident happened and i would really like i second chance i cant believe that the rest of my life will be ruined for one mistake i made when i had no experience please let me know if there is a process that i can go thru to get my discharge to a different reenlistment code right now is re-4

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your best shot of upgrading you discharge would be to submit a request to the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BNCR request) to modify the re-enlistmet code that was assigned by the Navy. In order to be successful on your request, you must attach evidence to show that the re-enlistment code was "unfair or unjust." BCNR requests are not easy. If you choose to pursue this route, you should hire a lawyer who is experienced in this area to help draft your request.

Military law topics

Recommended articles about Military law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer