Does my mother need to get her living will, will, Health Care POA, and POA redrawn now that she lives in Oregon?

My mother had her will, living will, health care POA and POA drawn up in North Carolina. She is now broke and can't pay to have these documents redrawn is there some help out there for elderly for free?

Beaverton, OR -

Shawn Jude Haag

Shawn Jude Haag

Real Estate Attorney - Allison Park, PA

It is not certain, as others have pointed out, that the documents will have to be completely redone. They should, however, be reviewed for compatibility with Oregon law. If you check with the county, city, or state bar association they may have a free legal service for these types of documents for individuals who meet limited income thresholds . The local health care organization you deal with as a provider of care may also be able to direct you to such a service.

Sponsored Listing
Rachele R Selvig

Rachele R Selvig

Estate Planning Attorney - Grants Pass, OR

Legal Aid Services of Oregon may be able to help your mother because she's a senior, but I'm not sure they assist with estate planning documents.

William Martin Burbank

William Martin Burbank

Estate Planning Attorney - Fullerton, CA

If your moms is really "broke" she won't need much. There are good healthcare documents for free for just a few dollars on the internet. A POA is important and if your mom has more than just a few thousand dollars you should get one from an elder law attorney. But if all you are dealing with is her social security income in a checking account you are probably fine with the OR statutory form if they have one or a simple online form. However, if your mom has more assets or owns property you will want to make sure you talk to a good local elder law attorney as these forms become very important and poorly drafted forms provide little use if you are going to do any Veterans Benefits or Medicaid planning.

Howard Robert Roitman

Howard Robert Roitman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

Unfortunately, for most people it’s a good idea to get a new set of documents that clearly meet your new state’s legal requirements.