Skip to main content

Does my mother have full costody of my son if he has lived with her for 3 years

Lubbock, TX |

we had an agreement that she would keep him till he was two if i was not able to care for him, I am stable and able to take care of him now but she will not let me have him

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Is this agreement in writing and filed with a court or is it a court order? If not and you are the parent, there should be no reason you can't retrieve your child. If this remains and issue, hire an attorney and seek custody in court. Where is the other parent?


Only a Court can award custody. If you make an agreement, you can revoke it unless it has been made into a Court Order. No Court Order, go get your son. Remember, that after having the child for 3 years, your mother has standing to file for custody of him and take him from you. Contact a good family law attorney in your area to discuss your options and be ready for her.

Good luck to you.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer