Does my mom have any type of medical malpractice case (follow up questions)

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/do-i-have-any...

Hi, about 4 months ago I asked a question regarding my moms unruptured brain aneurysm (please see link).
The week after I posted that question my mom was approved for surgery to take care of the aneurysm only the surgery wouldn't be for a month and a half. Two weeks before the surgery, the aneurysm ruptured and she was rushed for emergency surgery then spent 6 weeks in ICU in an induced coma.
12 weeks later (original hospital said 6-12 months) her insurance has sped her through the recovery process and has now dropped her coverage leaving her unable to walk, change herself, feed herself etc..
Just please let me know if it's worth talking to a lawyer now or a lost cause. Thanks a million.

1. Robert Max Klein

Pro

9

Answered . Yes, it is worth it for you to talk to a medical malpractice lawyer. There may or may not be a case, but it is worth a consultation. I hope your mother is starting to do better.

2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

9

Answered . Given the seriosuness of your mother's injury from teh ruptured aneurysm, you should certainly consult with one or more experinced medical malpractice lawyers. There has been a lot of controversy over the years whether it is better to operate on aneurysms sooner or later. The question is, why did they opt for later in this case? If the docs had a good reason to decide to do it later, that would be a judgment call, and probably not a case. If standard practice in the circumstances required operating sooner, there might be a good case here. The is no way to know without you consulting a lawyer, and the lawyer consulting experts.

3. Rabeh M. A. Soofi

5

Answered . Dear Poster, I am SO sorry this has happened to your poor mother. This is just terrible.

I think you absolutely should consult with a medical malpractice lawyer. However, I would also suggest you contact an insurance coverage lawyer - the insurance company may have illegally withdrawn her coverage. There are many good and qualified lawyers on this site. I handle both med mal and insurance coverage disputes. If I can be of help, please let me know. Take care, and I hope your mother is OK. Rabeh

Rabeh M. A. Soofi
    Attorney

Los Angeles | California
    Phone: 213.632.9390
    Fax: 213.986.3485
    Email: rsoofi@sb-lc.com
    Web: www.rabehsoofi.com
    Twitter: @rabehsoofi

Pro

6

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about your mother. You should retain a local malpractice lawyer who can order her medical records and send to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Randall Richard Sevenish

Pro

5

Answered . More information is needed to evaluate the potential claim. The best thing for you to do is make an appointment with a local medical malpractice attorney to discuss your case and what options you may have. Good luck.

6. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Pro

3

Answered . Your decision to hire a lawyer is a very personal one. I have visited with many people who's lives have been affected by medical negligence that decided not to pursue their claims. Others have felt differently, but the millions of dollars we have recovered for them never erases the pain and loss they have experienced. The Civil Justice system not only attempts to make you whole by recovering your financial losses, but also allows you to recover your human losses for your pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Also remember the Civil Justice system is a regulatory system, so if you decide to pursue your moms claim, perhaps you can help avoid this happening to others.