Does my landlord have to repair or replace the broken refrigerator that came with the apartment?

Revere, MA |

I have lived in the same apartment for the last seven years. I have been through three owners. My apartment came with a washer dryer and refrigerator. The dryer broke down last year, and the landlord would not replace it stating that the dryer was old. I replaced the dryer myself. Now the not so old refrigerator has stopped working. My land lord left me a voice mail stating that I would either have to replace it myself or he would raise the rent by 100 dollars a month in order for him to replace it. I am a tenat at will, do I have any rights in this?

1. I believe that under MA law, the landlord is required to provide a stove and a space for a fridge, but not the fridge itself. You may be required to repair or replace it yourself, or you can move to a better-maintained unit.

2. Upon further review, although a landlord is not required to provide a fridge, he is required to repair it if he chooses to provide one.

Landlord-tenant law topics